Uneducated, suppositious, insensitive to health problems the poor and rural population of India suffers from many ailments of the eyes, which in the absence of timely medical intervention result in blindness.
This lead Dr. M.P. Mehray to establish an eye Hospital in 1926 at Khairabad as a humble thatched structure in the interior of the town which was later shifted to another temporary structure on the highway 5 Km. from the District head quarters of Sitapur.
His selfless work attracted hundreds of patients from for and near. The crowd of patients gathered in campus attracted the attention of lady Hallet (The wife of the then British Governor of State) while driving through the highway. She was impressed by the Mela like crowd of patients and instantaneously promised a suitable land at the district head quarter. This gesture of lady Hallet facilitated the necessity of shifting from smaller and temporary structure to its present location at Sitapur, in an area of 12 acres. The foundation of the present structure was laid in 1943.
The Sitapur Eye Hospital is managed by Sitapur Eye Hospital Trust, which was created through an initial donation of Rs.10,000/- by the widow of a school teacher, Smt.Naraino Devi. By the year 1945 the vast main building, as it stands today, was completed. The hospital since then has grown from strength to strength to reach the status of a premier Eye Institution of India, a centre of excellence and internationally recognised. It continues to render dedicated service to the rural poor irrespective of their inability to meet the high cost of treatment.
The foundation stone of the building of Nehru Institute of Ophthalmology & Research , was laid by the then President of India Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, on 02.11.1964. The institute was inaugurated by Smt. Indira Gandhi, the then Prime minister of India on 08.12.1968. Originally it was affiliated to the Agra University and the first batch of D.O.M.S. students was inaugurated by Dr. Ranjan, the vice chancellor of Agra University in July 1965. it is now affiliated to Chatrapati Sahuji Maharaj University Kanpur w.e.f. 01.04.1971 and is recognized by the Medical council of India for training and teaching 15, D.O.M.S. students every year.
Again in 1977, the Govt. of India, considering the status and quality of teaching and services, provided by Sitapur Institute, decided to strengthen and upgrade Nehru Institute to the status of Regional Institute of Ophthalmology (The only One on Northern Zone (UP)).